Bedwetting in children is a common childhood problem that affects about 6 million children in the U.S. Why a child wets the bed depends on many reasons that include medical problems such as constipation and unitary tract infections, emotional stress or simply because bedwetting runs in the family.
Of course bedwetting is stressful for bedwetting child as well as his family. However, bedwetting is treatable. Once you identify the cause of bedwetting there are several treatment options you can try—one of them being bedwetting alarms.
A study has revealed that children who use bedwetting alarms like the Chummie bedwetting alarm are many times more likeley to overcome primary nocturnal enuresis as those who don’t. It is generally believed by health professionals in some countries that all children 8 years and older who continue to wet the bed be given a trials of bedwetting alarms.
Bedwetting alarms are designed to teach children to respond to a full bladder by waking them up and using the toilet. Broadly, bedwetting alarms can be categorized into body worn and bed side alarms. These alarms have some differences in functionality. However, both type of alarm use moisture sensitive sensor to trigger the alarm.
Most modern day alarms have sounds and vibrations. However, they might differ in terms of tones they offer or the volume level. It’s advisable to buy an alarm with multiple tones such as Chummie Premium to avoid auditory accommodation, which means to avoid becoming accustomed to one tone.
When bedwetting occur the alarm beeps and vibrates to wake up the bedwetting child. The alarm helps to condition the child’s brain to register the bladder’s need to empty itself by urinating. This conditioning of the mind and body is also known as behavior modification.
Most children begin to respond to a bedwetting alarm quickly, and stop bedwetting in few weeks. The biggest advantage of a bedwetting alarm is it doesn’t have any side effects as the medicines. Medicines do not cure bedwetting permanently. They can only treat the symptoms and a child can experience a relapse once medicine is stopped. As compared to medicines bedwetting alarms have a much lower relapse rate.
With positive reinforcement and parental assistance, the treatment with bedwetting alarms can progress faster and child can be dry sooner!
What is Bedwetting?
Bedwetting affects five to seven million children in the U.S. Find out all about bedwetting—its types, causes and impact on children.Read More
Bedwetting in Children
Many children suffer from bedwetting. Though it is stressful and frustrating, bedwetting is common and treatable.
Impact of Bedwetting
Bedwetting impacts both the children and their families in many ways. Find out how bedwetting impacts families and what you can do to better manage bedwetting.Read More
Types of Bedwetting Alarms
Bedwetting Alarms is one of the most effective treatment options. Compare different types of alarms and their unique features here.Read More
Dealing with a bedwetting child is challenging. Here are some ideas to help you manage bedwetting better.
How Bedwetting Alarms Work
There many bedwetting alarms available today that can stop bedwetting. Find out how different alarms work to treat bedwetting.Read More
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 When Child Feels Stupid for Bedwetting #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/wjHvn85L0K https://t.co/7p5LPAGRFD 28 minutes ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 Bedwetting and Laziness, Are They Related? #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/xXLREZhSir https://t.co/FUY7WPsY8H 32 minutes ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 Many Children Are Shamed by Bedwetting #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/YFJynVJTYP https://t.co/F80JFc8oMS 55 minutes ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 Potty Watch produced by PottyTime #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/hPCDRLOlry https://t.co/mLsywwETEi 1 hour ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 “Bedwetting Gives My Mom Lots of Work to Do” #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/oN8TJYhfkY https://t.co/A6UCgqjq92 2 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 Wetting The Bed Affect Psychologically #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/gds9uj6ykE https://t.co/JHAD4FsKl3 2 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 I Wet The Bed Again, Will It Lasts Forever? #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/HHPkL01EhJ https://t.co/7m98h0h7CP 2 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Bedwetting Doctor @BedwettingDoc Download our User Guide for the Malem Bed-Side MO6 bedwetting alarm here https://t.co/aPmsWMc31l #bedwetting… https://t.co/qctRKvd7lr 2 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Malem Medical @MalemMedical The Malem Deluxe has sounds & recordable message + vibration + volume control + light #MalemDeluxe #bedwetting… https://t.co/QPvhh6TGGJ 2 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Potty Training Child @PottyTraining77 Child May Feel Bad After Bedwetting #pottytraining #bedwetting https://t.co/hV3g4u7hYQ https://t.co/QHINFhTBV7 2 hours ago